Lilypie First Birthday tickers

July 21, 2008

Noticeable Progress

I am feeling very happy and content today. This weekend showed me that the last 7 weeks of training and training hard are paying off and that the next 7 weeks will really prepare me for race day. I needed a good week because I was really starting to worry. I'm tired and I'm sore but it was a great training weekend.

Friday - Family Reunion in Granite Bay
Rocky and I headed to Granite Bay for Day one of the Reyes Family Reunion. I had to be super duper good and not drink and eat like a piggy because of training. I did great on the drinking part, only had 2 beers with lunch and then drank water and an electolyte drink the rest of they. Didn't do so great on the food since it was catered from Mexican restaurant and OMG it was so good :o) I also had a bit of a headache when we got home cause it was HOT out there. We had such a fun time though and will post pictures when everyone sends them to us. THANKS CHRIS & HIDEKO for hosting.

Saturdy - Open Water Swim @ Aquatic Park, SF/Run (+Family Reunion & Fundraiser)

Phil, Amy & I carpooled into SF on Saturday morning and believe you me we were all freaking out. All 3 of us wanted to barf on our way over. Thanks guys for not doing that in my car...LOL. that would have been bad.

We were nervous and all had butterflies in our bellies about jumping into the bay for a swim. I too felt like Phil, that it didn't look as bad as we had expected. I really thought I'd be out in the open bay even though I'd heard there were a few breakwalls there I dunno I just couldn't picture anything but swimming in the open ocean. It was not like that at all and it actually was just like swimming at Shadow Cliffs but a bit colder and a bit choppier. Coach Paul told us to just jump in because inching in a little by little just made it worse. So we did, we jumped right in and swam. I made a quick observation right away. I am getting fast in the pool and I can swim fast at Shadow Cliffs but not so much in the open water. It's going to take a few more swims to get there. I had a hard time breathing, it was choppy and I swam in a zig zag because apparently I can't swim straight, haa, haa. I kept crossing the bouys and I was just all over the place. I'm also still trying to get used to the wetsuit again and swimming in it is still a bit tough and a little tight around the arms, it'll get better though. I only freaked out once when I started to think about sharks and I quickly told myself to STOP IT!!! I got around 1.5 times which I guess equals 1/2 a mile. Not too bad for my first open water swim. I was actually okay with how it all went.

Out of the water and onto the run.

We changed out of our wetsuits and tried to dry off as much as we could and then went on our run which was actually part of the Nike Half Marathon course so I knew what too expect, ummm a hill, YIKES!!! Olympic was to do 45 minutes total. I have no idea how long it took me because once again I forgot my watch :o( but I did mapmyrun when I got home and I ran 4 miles total and felt GREAT :o) woohoo, finally a good run. I think the fact that it was cool really helped me out. I went home tired but very happy with the results of my workout. OHHHH and I RAN up the hill, once again I RAN up the hill. I NEVER run up that hill :o) more proof that all this crazy training is helping out so much.

We stopped by to get breakfast at the Coffee Mill in Oakland, yummy, and then headed home. No time for a nap :o( did some stuff around the house, showered and headed to Daly City for the Family Reunion Festivities.
I had dinner with everyone, once again it was all so yummy although I did do much better on overeating and drinking. I stayed for a couple of hours and then headed to San Francisco to a teammates fundraiser but only stayed for about an hour and then headed home. Felt like such the party pooper, sorry Olivia :o( I finally made it home and totally passed out, I was exhausted.


Sunday - Bike (+Family Reunion)
Sunday I was up early again and headed out to Walnut Creek to meet the team for our bike ride. Olympic distance was to do 50 minutes out and 50 minutes back but I decided to go for mileage and do 25 miles. I took 2 hours and 2 minutes :o) a bit slow and hoping in the next few weeks I can shave some of that time off. I had a great ride although it was chilly and we had a nasty headwind coming back so even though it was mostly a downhill coming back I wasn't going very fast. I did accomplish a few things though :o) which I'm happy about.

I figured out how to only clip out of one pedal when coming to a stop sign. This is huge because then I don't waste time trying to clip back into both pedals while at a stop light. Sometimes I'd have such a hard time that the light would change to red again and I wasn't clipped back in :o( no fun. So that was huge for me.

I also got a few tips from Coach Paul on how to hydrate and eat on the bike and I DID IT :o) I drank my electrolytes without falling over or without losing my water bottle while trying to put it back. I also ate my sharkies on the way back. That's also a big step for me.

I was bummed for most of the ride that AGAIN I was all alone while riding but hey I had a great ride and I accomplished new things so that made my day :o)

After the ride I headed home cause my hubby was waiting for me and we headed back to Daly City for day 3 of the reunion. I literally sat in the same chair ALL DAY chatting away with my sister-in-laws and other lady cousins. We had so much fun chatting and laughing. Managed to control the eating and drinking which again was good but hard. So much good food :o) Hubby and I went home and took our older niece and nephew with us to spend the night. I again passed out from exhaustion but it was a great day.

Today I am at work while hubby is at Water World in Concord with all the other kids and some of the familes that are still in town. Hopefully the weather warmed up for them.

Week 7 Complete and I am a happy camper :o) and now on to week 8.

3 comments:

Phil said...

great job this weekend! the best part is...it's only going to get better!

Amy said...

I'm glad we didn't barf in your car too. :) Congrats on the improvement, you'll be swimming like a pro in no time!

Jeanette said...

You are an amazing woman. I'm so glad your swim was good. You are going to rock your race!