Lilypie First Birthday tickers

August 18, 2008

Training & A Bit of Relaxing

Thursday

Had a great swim out at Shadow Cliffs on Thursday. Did 1 mile (without stopping except to say hi to Coach Paul) in a little over 41 minutes. It felt great to be in the water and out of the heat. When we arrived there it was 94 and we about melted putting our wetsuits on. That part was no fun. Amy and I were able to get there by 6pm so we were in the water before our teammates showed up at 6:30. It wasn't really a team workout so it was no biggie. Coach Paul was just there in case anyone needed a little extra help. Amy and I were outta there by 7:00ish which is a super early night for us so on our way home we stopped to have some dinner, I had wonton soup :o)

Friday

I had Friday off work so I took the opportunity to run some errands. One major thing I wanted to get done before race day was get my bike tuned up. It was making some funny noises and Rocky thought the breaks maybe needed some tuning up. I took it in on Friday morning and picked it up on Friday evening. I could tell when I rode it on Saturday that it felt much better. I've got an appt on the 25th to get it re-fitted. I've been having a little bit of pain in my right shoulder after riding so maybe it needs a little adjustment here and there.

Took the car to get serviced but it needs the 30K check so I'll have to take it back on the 5th. So that was kind of a waste, oh well. Got a pedicure with Amy and then we had a yummy lunch. It was SUPER hot in Walnut Creek and by the time I got home I had a major headache so I decided to take a nap :o) didn't get up til it was almost time for hubby to come home and then we had to pick up my bike. We also finally had a chance to try Yogurt Harmony which Meenu has been telling us about for months. I had the peach yogurt and Rocky the mango and they were both super yummy. Only part that is no fun is the driving around in circles looking for parking. Some parts of Berkeley are like SF, parking is no fun.

For the most part it was a relaxing day.

Saturday

Up early and out of the house to be in San Ramon by 8am. Saturday was scheduled to be a LONG ride for everyone. Olympic team was doing the full distance of the race which is 25 miles but we could choose to do more, just not more than 30 miles. I'm noticing a pattern in what we all have to say and that is that we need to eat more. I drank plenty of water and electrolytes but I think I need more food while riding. I am not just trying to replenish what I'm losing while riding but also have enough food in my belly for a 10K so I really need to figure that out. I think food is going to consist of 2 packs of sharkies instead of just 1 and then some quaker oatmeal granola bites. I also need to start out with more in my belly at breakfast. I have 25 days to figure it out :o)

Our ride was from San Ramon to Sunol and luckily the Olympic team got to turn around before we hit any major hills in Sunol. I had a good ride, slow as a turtle again but for the most part it was good. I drank plenty of fluids since it was a hot day and ate the little bit that I did bring for the ride. I finished 29 miles total and managed to make it up all the hills even though I was struggling. Will those darn hills ever get easy for me? :o( So happy that Pacific Groves is mostly flat :o)

After the bike we had to do a 10 minute run. LVL3 run with LVL 8 for the last 100 yards. I ended up running just over 10 minutes so I could to get a full mile in. I felt good and it seems my legs are getting used to the transistion from the bike to the run.

It was a good training day. Amy and I headed out to have a much needed brunch (1000+ calories burned on the bike) at Sideboard. We both had to make a quick stop at Forward Motion for shoes and body glide and then we headed home. I had to take Amy back to her house first and when we drove back by where we had met with team, the Half Ironman people were just finishing up. YIKES, that was a super long day for them (they rode 4 hours). GOOD JOB PHIL!!!

I stopped by the grocery store to pick up stuff for dinner, then went home and took a nap and pretty much spent the rest of the day doing nothing. Hubby and I really needed a weekend at home and that's exactly what we did.

Sunday

The team was scheduled to do a run in Walnut Creek and once again I didn't feel like driving out there so I chose to sleep in and run later in the day. I slept in til 8am and then got up and did some house chores and after Rocky left for Kali I headed to Lake Merrit for my run. I managed to make it around the Lake twice which actually was more than scheduled, oopsy, but it was a good run and it was nice and cool. It was sunny but at least not in the 80's or 90's.

I went home after the run and grabbed the doggies and then we went on a 2 mile walk at Pt. Isabel. Gave the doggies a bath and then headed home. Cleaned up a little more, showered, we went and did our weekly grocery shopping and then came home and once again spent the rest of the day relaxing :o)

Daisy not thrilled I was taking pictures while she was napping

Patch napping with his hippo

No comments: