Lilypie First Birthday tickers

August 27, 2008

Pacific Grove Preview

Whoa been so darn busy I didn't think I'd ever get a minute to update. Things around here are good but very hectic and a bit stressful, makes for fun times. Only 16 DAYS til race day, yikes!

Recap from the weekend

Had a great great run on Saturday with the team. We met off Alcosta Blvd. and ran the Iron Horse Trail. Olympic distance was to do 6 - 7 miles. I chose to do 6.2. I started out way too fast. Amy's sister came out and joined our team, she was visiting for the week but also needed to get in a 10 mile run so she ran with us. She asked what my pace was an I told her I'd been running between 11 and 11:30 she said great that worked for her. UMM, NO!! She run's much faster. I managed to keep up with her til 1.65 miles and then she needed to take off, uh to run faster :o), which was fine with me. I managed to find a comfortable pace, I averaged 10:48, probably the best I've run in a long time. Although I do know that at the beginning I was going too fast. We were suppose to do negative splits but I think for me I did the first half super fast and slowed down on the second half. It was also beginning to warm up quickly. It felt like 80's yet it was only in the low 60's.

Did 6.2 miles in 1:07, wooohoo. Can I keep that up on race day after riding my bike for 25 miles? I sure hope so but we shall see.

Amy and I waited for Phil to return from his 13 mile run and then I took off. Went home and packed my bags and all my training gear to train in Pacific Grove. Left the house around 1:30ish and headed to Walnut Creek to pick up Lindsay and then we were off to Pacific Grove. The drive went by pretty fast and we were down there about 4ish. Checked into our hotel and then headed out to walk around Cannery Row. We walked around the shops including the Candy Shop where Lindsay purchased $12.00 in Salt Water Taffy. I think we bought 2 of every flavor they had.


After our taffy purchase we headed over and had dinner at Fish Hopper. We had two very yummy seafood platters that we shared. It was a super nice evening and we were seated by the water. We watched the funny sea otters playing in the ocean. I have to admit that although they were cute they were making me nervous. If they were there in that area where people could swim would they also be where I was suppose to be swimming on Sunday? They are cute but I don't want to see one swim up to me while I'm in the water. Yikes!


After our yummy dinner we walked around some more and did some shopping and then headed back to our room. We were booth pooped and we also wanted to watch the Olympic Men's Marathon. We were cracking up about how we are getting old and can't take being out late. We were in bed by 8pm and lights out by 9 :o) Before bed though we had to try out a few flavors of the salt water taffy, it was our dessert :o)

We were suppose to have a chance to sleep in but that wasn't happening because the 5 gagillion seagulls flying around the beach decided to be SUPER loud and wake us up at 6am. I pretty much tossed and turned after that until it was time to get up at 8am.

Meeting location for our team was literally across from our hotel so we didn't have far to go. We all got in our wetsuits and into the water we went. I have to say it was a very weird creepy experience and although it took me a minute to catch my breath after jumping in the water, it was cold, I did not freak out. This was a good sign.


all the stuff you see above in the water is kelp

and here we are in it

The kelp was very interesting and a pain to actually swim in. You pretty much can't swim in and have to kind of just use it to pull yourself on it. So all that hard work of swimming the past 13 weeks, um kind of out the door here. You can't swim. I understand from people that by the time the Team in Training Women's wave goes in the water on race day that a lot of it will be parted and we'll be able to swim a little easier. Again, we'll just have to see.

Swam a little in it, bobbed around in the water a bit in it and then headed back. Very glad that we go to do it and see what it was going to be like.

After the swim we went on our bike ride. We were suppose to do 3 loops (race day will be 4) but I only did 2 loops. I was freezing and also needed to shower and check out of our hotel room so I cut the ride short. What I realized is that if it's going to be as cold as it was this past weekend on race day, I need more clothes. It is chilly and it is windy and because we do the whole event in the same outfit we are wet. So makes for a cold ride and that's not a good combo for my knees. I was having pain in my knees hat I've never had before so I'll need to wear knee warmers and maybe some arm warmers. Other than that the ride will be a good ride just a bit mentally challenging to have to do the loop 4 times. There are a few inclines but no actual hills, yay!

At this point this is what I hope for

40 minute swim (.9 miles)
2 hour bike ride (25 miles)
1:15 hour run (6.2 miles)

and that's if all goes well. It took me 4:45 to do Wildflower and that was a VERY HILLY course on a day that felt like it was 110 degrees outside. I am really hoping for a much better race. Keeping fingers crossed.

I showered, we packed up the car, had a nice lunch, walked over to watch the sea lions and then headed home. THANK YOU LINDSAY for driving us home cause I was pooped.

The rest of Sunday was spent relaxing.

Monday was a rest day and yesterday I wasn't able to make the 3000 yard swim on the schedule. Sort of sad sort of not, haa, haa. From reading Amy and Phil's blog though it looked like they had a good swim and I'm not quite in the clear yet of the 3000 yard swims because next week and the week after we are suppose to swim even longer, WOW!!!

Tomorrow is my FINAL FINAL deadline on fundraisng and I'm still $200 short, yikes. If you are still intersted in donationg please do so today on my fundraising website. THANK YOU!

Donate here :o)

No comments: