Lilypie First Birthday tickers

August 06, 2008

I don't heart Oakland

Another Oakland pizzeria robbed
An Oakland pizzeria was robbed Tuesday night in the latest holdup of a restaurant in the city, police said today.

At least one person entered Skyline Pizza on the 4400 block of Keller Avenue at about 8:50 p.m. Tuesday and fled with money from the store's register. There were no report of injuries. Police did not provide a description of the robber or robbers.

We live directly in front of this pizza place, in fact we eat at this pizza place and pick up pizza there. We can see the pizza place from our condo. Last night the pizza place was being robbed as Rocky and I were outside. I was just arriving home and Rocky was packing up his car to leave for band practice. This makes me sick to my stomach.

I have always had a little bit of anxiety about living in Oakland but this just makes me even more anxious. A few weeks ago we had dinner with Chris & Meenu in Piedmont and about an hour after we had left the restaurant there a restaurant a block or two away was held up. There have been several restaurant hold ups in the Oakland area and of course in areas that we frequent.

And I know, I know bad things happen in all areas. In fact the Trader Joe's in Walnut Creek where I used to shop at got held up a few weeks ago. So yeah, even the nice area's are being hit but for the most part those areas are safe and aren't in the darn newspaper ever single day.

I can't stand to watch the news or even read the news online anymore. Pretty much every single day it':

Man gunned down
Women gunned down
Child gunned down
Restaurant held up
Grocery store held up
people getting rapped, mugged, you name it. You bet you can find it on the headlines of the day for Oakland.

The thing that sucks is that there are some super nice areas in Oakland and I like our condo and the area we live in. As Coach says, we live on the high rent side of Oakland. To get in a good area of Oakland you must live above 580/MacArthur. If you live below, uhhh good luck, you might want to own a gun. It's pretty damn scary on the other side of the freeway. If you go up up up and into the hills there are even million dollar homes up there. So Oakland does have some awesome homes and super cute neighborhoods but the crappy people make it scary to live there :o( urrggghhhhhh!!!

Last night we had a great swim and managed to finish our workout in an hour :o)

2600 yards (1.48 miles) 1 hour

Warm Up:
400 LVL2
8 x 50 (25 LVL2, 25 choice drill)

Main Set:
6 x 150 LVL 3-6 (Descending) 20”RI
1’ REST
4 x 100 LVL 3-6 (Descending) 15”RI
1’ REST
4 x 50 LVL 3-6 (Descending) 10”RI

Cool Down:
100 LVL2

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oy. I knew the place was close to you but didn't realize HOW close. Come back to the 'burbs and be safer!

Jeanette said...

I feel your pain! I love my home and the city I live in but these days people are really out of control.
As I lay in bed Sunday night, just starting to fall asleep, I heard gun shots. They weren't really close but probably a few miles away. Sadly, a young person lost their life due that. Even sadder, I recognized the sound as gun shots. :(

Olivia said...

MOVE BACK TO WALNUT CREEK!!!