Lilypie First Birthday tickers

February 03, 2006

Meet my Honoree's

Happy Friday!

I have decided that each Friday for the next 5 weeks I will highlight one of my honorees. This way you can read a little about them and their stories. It's also a good way to get me motivated for the weekend trainings. It'll remind me that my life isn't so bad and that I shouldn't sweat the small things in life because like my run coach says "Any day that I can get out and workout is a good day" A lot of these people can even get out of bed. So I will not complain when my alarm goes off at 5am every Saturday AND Sunday for the next 4 1/2 months.

This week I will start with Brenda Donato

In January 2005, I began to feel very exhausted and weak, but continued on with my normal routine as a working mom with two boys ages 8 and 4. One day, I became so weak I could hardly walk up the stairs without my heart racing. I was diagnosed with AML on February 11, 2005 at the age of 34.

With the overwhelming support of my family, friends and community I have gained the strength and courage to fight this disease with all my will. On June 30, 2005, I received a stem cell transplant at UCSF Medical Center after three rounds of high dose chemotherapy.

Today, I am in remission and await routine checkups. I am enjoying more energy now than I have had in almost a year and recovering on schedule.

I love to run, bike, swim, hike and everything fitness. Can’t wait to get started again soon.

Brenda is doing awesome. She became an Honoree for the East Bay Run Team this past Fall. She was able to train with us and run the half marathon at the Nike Women's Marathon in October 2005. She continued to train and walked the FULL marathon at the P.F. Chang's Rock n Roll Marathon in Arizona just a few weeks ago. This season Brenda is once again an honoree for the run team AND she is going to be a participant on the triathlon team. I get to be her mentor....woohooo. We are going to have a blast. She is going to do the Sprint Distance Mountain Bike Tri at the Jamba Juice Wildflower Triathlon. Brenda is an amazing lady with an amazing attitude. She has truly inspired me and everyone that comes in contact with her.

1 comment:

Phil said...

Brenda definitely inspires me. She helped me big time to finish my race!