Lilypie First Birthday tickers

February 24, 2006

Honoree - Week #4

Debby Greer-Costello
Stem Cell Transplant Date Scheduled for February 27, 2006

I have taken parts of a blog entry that Deb wrote this week so you can get an idea of what she is going through…to read the complete entry you can go to
http://www.debutaunt.com/ and read the entry for February 22, 2006.

I'm Deb. I'm a single mom with a sweet 5 year old named Zoe. I have 6 siblings - 3 brothers and 3 sisters. I'm super tight with them.

On October 21, 2005, I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia that is Philadelphia Chromosome positive. After that date, I was told that my daughter couldn't live with me any more because of the risk of infection, and that I would have to get admitted to the hospital a lot to get chemo and go to the hospital a lot for outpatient services. She is now living with my Sis #2 and her family.

On Sunday, February 19th, I was admitted to the hospital for a stem cell transplant. It is a serious scary procedure but it is the best treatment for my form of the disease and hopefully will be a complete cure.

A little less than 4000 people in the United States get ALL each year. Most of those people are children. No one knows what causes ALL.

In the meantime, I'm just making observations about what is happening and trying to focus on the positive stuff that could possibly come from this experience and share how much we should appreciate life - everything little and small, joyous, precious, amazing, silly, frustrating and annoying. You can take nothing in life for granted - so choose to enjoy it the best you can with what you have.

I can do this!!!!!

Deb


Deb and her daughter, Zoe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep on keeping on!!!! Good luck, girlfriend. This is cool.

Know that Deb would give anything to be able to run with you. :)

Amyamybobamy said...

with great sadness, I tell you that deb passed away. please visit www.couragetojump.com to find out more and learn what you can do to make a difference