Lilypie First Birthday tickers

July 16, 2007

Took a Tumble :o(

Well I don't know what it is about this training season but for some reason it's not going so well. I know the last few weeks have been busy which is why I haven't been running, plus the darn tattoo and then a case of bad headaches. Saturday Rocky and I headed out to meet our team for the Mentor lead run at the Berkeley Marina. The weather was chilly but I was glad that it wasn't 80 degrees at 8am. The last few days had been pretty warm so I was certain Saturday morning would be too. I was very nervous about running 8 miles but knew I had to do it and knew that I would get it done. I had decided to take it easy the first few miles so that I could really do good the last few miles and not be pooped out. I started out with Brandy, she wasn't feeling to great so I figured I stick with her for some support. She runs a little slower than I do so it also helped me not overdue it in the beginning. Around mile 1 she really had to go potty and she really wasn't feeling well so she told me to just go ahead and she'd just do a walk/run thing to try to get through her 8 miles. I didn't want to leave her but knew I needed to run so I took off. I got to about mile 1.25/1.5 and all of a sudden I hit the ground :o( right away I could feel my right ankle hurting and when I sat down I noticed a nice stream of blood coming from my left knee. I didn't really know what had happened cause it happened so fast but I had fallen. All my lovely teammates that were running behind me stopped to help me out. I didn't have my phone on me but someone on our team did and she let me use it to call Rocky. Brandy was behind me when I fell and saw that I had stepped on a big huge rock, STUPID ROCK, and that's where I had twisted my ankle and what caused me to fall. Our friend Carol was sweet enough to stop her run, without much twisting of the arm..haa, haa, and walked back to the start with me, THANK YOU Carol. Chris eventually got to us and he made us wait for him to go get the car and gave us a ride back the rest of the way, THANK YOU CHRIS. I'm glad he made me wait cause sure enough the pain in my ankle was getting worse and it started to swell :o( Carol had a first aid kit in her car so we cleaned up my knee and got some band aids on it. Meenu drove me down to the corner market and we got some ice for my ankle, THANK YOU Meenu. By the time we got back Rocky was done running and we headed home. The rest of the weekend I spent plopped in chair by the pool at Rocky's family reunion in Concord. My hubby was very sweet and made sure I was icing a few times throughout the day. We managed to keep the swelling in my ankle to a minimum. Today my ankle is still sore but it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was really expecting it to be worse. I am not sure if I'll run tomorrow or not. I may wait til Wednesday or Thursday. I am pretty bummed out because I was hoping to get back on track with my mileage this weekend. We've got a long run at Lake Chabot this coming Saturday so I'm even more nervous especially because it's a hilly course. I also need to be careful because you never really know with ankle twists how bad they are. I may feel good but could get out and run and re-injure myself. I will contact Mama Lisa today and see what she thinks I should do :o( I'm pretty bummed out.

Here is what my knee looked like last night (it's all greasy from the neosporin). I've got a nice big bruise underneath all the scrapes :o(

1 comment:

Carol said...

Your knee cleaned up nicely. I'm glad you didn't pass out from seeing blood. Rocky is such a good hubby for spoiling you!