Lilypie First Birthday tickers

March 27, 2007

Ultrasound Therapy

That is my new favorite thing. When I think of ultrasounds I think of babies and preggy women getting checked to make sure the baby is okay and of course to see how big it's getting and what the sex is. But ultrasound is used for other things as well, like therapy for my poor little hands.

Ultrasound therapy uses high-energy sound waves (those above the range we hear) to help ease painful joints and muscles. Ultrasound treatment is done by a physical therapist or occupational therapist who guides the waves into the body from the head of a ultrasound machine.

Yesterday I had physical therapy and she does the ultrasound wand thingy for about half an hour. It helps out sooooo much and my hands feel so much better afterwards. I figure I spent $25 sometimes on a meal so $25 for a session of therapy is well worth it. I go back again next Tuesday. My hands today are doing okay. I'm not sure if it's from the therapy or maybe I'm just having a good day :o) The weekend was bad. I'm noticing that my left hand is much better but the right one is still pretty painful. My therapist said to be patient...haa, haa, she doesn't know me well. She said it took a long time for my hands to get this bad and it'll take a long time for them to heal but the good news is we are making that happen. So I keep doing my exercises, go to physical therapy and take my motrin. I sure hope the motrin doesn't kill my stomach. So far no issues but I know mass quantities of it isn't good for your insides.

Weekend was great. It was fairly mellow. On Saturday we went to the run, had breakfast with a few TNT friends, took Patch to the doggie park and then had dinner with Rocky's brother and sister-in-law. Sunday was a nap, knit and catch up on TV day.

I'm almost done with my part of the "secret" knitting project and for more of my knitting goodies go here.

1 comment:

Phil said...

stay patient...slowly but surely your hands will get better and better. =) glad to hear the therapy is working its magic.