Lilypie First Birthday tickers

September 18, 2008

Pacific Grove - Race Report Part 2

The Swim - 0:38:57

The swim part of the race was 2 loops around the buoys. So we had to do one loop, get out of the water, go around the rock on the beach, jump back in the water and then do a second loop and then run out of the water and up the transition area.

My only concern about this looping thing was whether I'd get trampled by the previous wave when they were doing their second loop. I wasn't to sure how that would work out especially since the previous wave was a men's wave. Would I get banged up and swam over?

I had gotten in the water before the start of our wave to kind of get used to the water and I think that helped. When the gun went off and we jumped in the water I wasn't it to much shock. I had already filled my wetsuit with water and my face was already wet. I was able to just start swimming. Surprisingly enough I was able to actually swim the entire time. I have learned from past races that I need to stay in the back and to the left, it's the safest area. The kelp was thick in some areas but not too bad. I just pulled myself on it when it was to thick to swim and kept on going. Thankfully enough I was not pounded on by any of the fast women in my wave BUT I was attacked by a man in the wave before us who was on his second loop. I am guessing that he was just swimming along very fast and wasn't really paying attention because all of a sudden I got nailed HARD in between my legs....OUCHIE!!!!! I had to regroup quickly, I didn't let it mess up my swim and he sure didn't let it mess up his. He just went around me and kept on swimming. That was crazy! I did swallow quite a bit of salt water and it did get a little choppy in some areas. Salt water taste nasty :o( Luckily it did not make me sick later.

I felt great around the first loop, got of the water, heard all our awesome friends cheering and saw them out of the corner of my eye, went around the rock and back into the water. I was a bit loopy so I didn't really look at anyone. I just wanted to jump back in and get the second loop done.


Loop #2 went just as smoothly as Loop #1. I was able to just keep on swimming, I was relaxed and I was feeling good. Swallowed a little more water towards the end when the lady in front of me started kicking like some crazy person but other then that no major issues and no issues with the cold water at least not til I got out and realized I was frozen :o)

Made it out of the water feeling good and headed up the ramp and stairs for the transition area.

I had a hard time taking my darn wetsuit off and the top part didn't come off as easily as I had hoped. I got to my transition area and I was still fighting with the arms of it..urrgghhh! Can't wait to see the picture the official photographer got of me going up the transition area with my arms stuck :o( Oh and check out my cone head from my swim cap that almost came off, haa, haa.


TI
TI took forever. I just tried to look up my times but they are missing. It was like almost 7 minutes. My hands were frozen. I was having a hard time getting my wetuit off and although I had laid out everything the way I wanted to put it on I got a bit frazzled. Frozen hands and a wet body don't go good with trying to put clothes on. I got my helmet on first since it said in the rule book that you couldn't take the bike off the rack til the helmet was on and strapped and I didn't want to forget that so I just put it on and strapped it. I put my sunglasses, socks and shoes, knee warmers, jacket, my race belt and gloves. Off I went.

Cheering Squad Update
Holy Smokes these guys were doing their own triathlon :O) By the time I was heading out on my bike they had made it from the beach up to the bike out area and I could hear them. Way to pump me up :o)

Bike - 1:55:05
Bike course was 4 loops out and back which gaves us a total mileage of 24.8 miles. The course was mainly flat with a few gradual inclines. It was chilly although I think I was the only one bundled up. Everyone else seemed to just be riding in their tri-suits. I knew from training there a few weeks ago that if I was cold I'd be in trouble so I decided to play it safe and wear a jacket and my knee warmers. I'm so glad I did.

The main thing I needed to remember on the bike was to EAT and HYDRATE. I did and I know this was key in how good I felt on the bike and how good I felt later on the run.

I had 3 packs of sharkies, 1 bottle of electrolytes within the 1st hour and made sure to finish an entire bottle of water within the 2nd hour of the bike ride.

I felt great all 4 loops and the only issue I had was some knee pain. I'm not sure why since I haven't had it all season maybe it was from pushing myself a bit harder. I dunno. Luckily it wasn't too bad and manageable. When we'd come back to start another loop we had to make kind of a tight squeeze u turn but I had no problems there. The best part was being able to see everyone each time. There were family and friends on each side of the street and it was great.


Loop #1 - 0:27:55
Loop #2 - 0:27:32
Loop #3 - 0:28:38
Loop #4 - 0:30:58

As you can see I slowed down a little towards the end but not too much. It was a good ride and I was still feel pretty darn good. Off the bike and into transition area.


Cheering Squad Update
Again our awesome cheering squad had repositioned themselves and we were able to see them going into the transition to drop off the bike and the coming out and going on our run :o)

T2 - 0:0:3:44
Transition #2 went a lot smoother. I stripped off my helmet, gloves, jacket, knee warmers and shoes and then put on my visor, running shoes and grabbed my water bottle. I carried my electorlytes and decided I would drink the water provided on the race course. Since it was a 10k that would work out good for me. I had hydrated well on the bike so I was good to go. Feeling great and not wobbly on my legs at all I left the transition area and off on my run.

Run - 1:12:53
3 loops on the run totalling 6.2 miles. I was a little worried coming out of transition that it would get too hot because the sun of course decided to come out. I don't do well in heat and was hoping that the sun gods would be nice to me. I'd had a great race so far, I was feeling really good still and just needed one more hour or so.


I realized though on my way back on the first loop that the course was NOT flat like everyone had said. Each time we did a loop and came back we were going up hill. Not crazy up hill just a gradual incline but still, we were going up.

I was heading towards the end of the first loop when off to the side I saw Debbie and her boyfriend Brian :o) it was nice seeing them there. I kept on going and at the turnaround was everyone else. I looked to my left and there was Rocky, and his parents and WAIT!! Is that my father? WOOHOO he made it. Big cheesy smile on my face I rounded the corner and on to loop #2.


It was getting a little bit warmer but still not too bad. I decided to pour some water over my head at the water stop and that seemed to help. We had a nice breeze on the way back which helped also.

Right before I came around the corner to finish loop #2 Mama Lisa was waiting for me and kind of ran along side of me. Kind of sort of not really though. Mama Lisa is used to running with us in a marathon but in the tri world it's not allowed and you can get disqualified. YIKES!!! So I tried to run a little faster and get away from her. Inside I was cracking up. I never did metion it to her I wonder if someone else did.

I finished Loop #2 feeling really good and now getting really pumped up that I only had one more to do. The loops didn't seem as long after the first one and the time seemed to be going by fast. I couldn't believe that I was still running. I was getting tired but I knew I was almost done and I just kept plugging along. How could I not. It was a beautiful day, I was having a great race, our family and friend were waiting. So I got moving :o)

On my way out on the second loop I heard a GO CLAUDIA and I didn't see who it was so I turned around and had to do a double take because the cheers came from the ground, it was Lael and not only was he sitting on the ground cheering us on, he was having a nice meal. When I turned around here is what I saw....


Funny guy. I wanted to sit next to him and eat but darn one more loop before I got to have some food.

The nice thing about having to do the 3 out and back loops was that we got to see everyone. It was nice to cheer on my teammates and be cheered on. It kept my mind busy and focused on something else besides wanting to be done already.


Loop #3 went well and at the home stretch where I saw Debbie and Brian again I got rid of my water bottle and started running faster. I was on the home stretch to the finish line...woohooo!

Loop #1 - 0:24:27
Loop #2 - 0:23:39
Loop #3 - 0:24:45

I crossed the finish line, got my medal and went to find everyone. What a great day! :o)



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done, Claudia! Wonderful recaps! Carol

runnergrl123 said...

Congrats Again, you did an awesome job. Thanks for the recap, now you make me want to go do one, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. :o)