Lilypie First Birthday tickers

September 17, 2008

Race Report - Part 1

Friday

We were up fairly early on Friday morning to do some last minute packing of luggage and packing the car. Rocky and I headed out about 9am, went by Starbucks and then picked up Olivia. We met Phil, Lindsay and Amy at the Park and Ride in San Ramon and we caravanned to Monterey. We arrived a little before noon and we were able to check into the hotel and unload the cars. We first stopped off at Carrow’s for a quick lunch of salads and sandwiches and then headed to Triathlon Central in Pacific Grove which was only a few minutes away. We walked around the Expo and did some shopping :o) and picked up our race packets. There were 2 TNT women’s waves and we got the first one at 8:45am, yippee!!

Checked out the swim area where the buoys had already been set up, checked out the transition area where all my gear would be living on Saturday, met with our team on the beach for some quick tips from Coach Paul and then headed back to the hotel. We were actually suppose to do a short workout on Friday when we arrived but Amy and I decided to skip it. We felt we’d benefit more from resting.

#856 :o) my home for Saturday

Kelp, Kelp and more Kelp, this is where we swim

Erik, Cori, Lindsay, Me, Rocky, Amy, Phil & Olivia checking out the area

Our team after going for a 15 minute swim, brrrr!

It was about 4pm when we arrived back to our hotel and our pasta party was at 6pm. I decided to get all my stuff ready so I wouldn’t have to do it after the pasta party. I laid out all my clothes, put the stickers on my helmet, bike number on the bike, race number on my race belt. Tags on my shoes and bike and on and on. Getting ready for a triathlon requires lots of gear. Checking it over, once, twice and even a third and fourth time. You just don’t want to forget anything.

Headed over to the Pasta Party at 6pm. It was really good food :o) which we were happy with and a good program. The speaker for the night was a teammate and mom to our team honoree, Lauren Bishopp. She gave a great talk and there wasn’t a dry eye in that room. It was very inspirational and it ended with the whole room of 300+ Team in Training Participants signing I WILL SURVIVE, by Gloria Gaynor, being lead by Lauren and her mom, Emma. It was awesome and probably one of the best Pasta Parties I’ve been to.

Emma & Lauren Bishopp

After the Pasta Party Coach Paul gave us last minute tips, group picture and then we headed back to the rooms.


I pretty much put my jammies on and crawled into bed. I attempted to go to sleep at 9pm and although I think I got some sleep I don’t think it was much. I was pretty nervous.

Alarm went off at 4:30am on Saturday morning.

Saturday

I got up and showered, put on my clothes and ate and at 5:30 I headed downstairs to meet Amy. We had decided the night before with the approval of our coach that Amy and I would get a ride from Rocky to the start/finish instead of riding down with the team. I know, party poopers, but the team had to walk ½ mile in their cycling shoes to the trail and then ride 3 miles to the start/finish area. I didn’t want to start my morning that way plus it was DARK and CHILLY. Of course they also had to ride back after the race, no thank you. Rocky gave us a ride instead :o)

We arrived at the transition area and set up our stuff in the dark :o( we’d have to re-check everything later when the sun came up and make sure it was all properly placed and nothing was forgotten.

Lindsay, Phil & Olivia arrived shortly after and we all hung out for a while.

Amy & I walked the course and visualized coming out of the water, running/walking up the ramp to the transition area, going out on the bike, returning on the bike and going out on the run. Afterwards we decided we should probably get off our feet. By this time my father/mother-in-law had arrived so we went and hung out with them. Our wave wasn’t going out til 8:45 so we were able to hang out for quite a while, see our family & friends as they arrived and watch the start of the race at 7:15. Can you say Butterflies in the Belly?

The only people I wasn't able to see before heading in the water were my dad, who was I'm sure driving uhh fast :o) to get there and my friend Debbie. She was there in the crowd but I didn't spot her before the start of the race :o(

I sat on a bench watching the first few waves take off. I chatted with my hubby and his parents and then Mama Lisa and Coach arrived and we hung out with them for a bit. The rest of the gang was across the walkway where I could see them and I noticed at 7:45 that Amy left to go to the transition area. I knew she was nervous. She needed to get away and just be alone. A few minute after she walked away Anita and Bree arrived, Amy had no idea that I had invited them. I showed Amy and Bree where the rest of the gang was and I left to go find Amy. She was over by her transition area just pacing. She said she was pretty nervous and just needed to get away. I told her to take a walk with me :o) I took her back over to where everyone else was and before we got to them I told her “please don’t drown me” LOL!! She looked up and saw Anita and Bree and started crying. I’m glad she was able to see them before the start. I’m glad they were able to be there for her.


It hit me as the national anthem was being sung that this was it, race day was really here and I was going to do the damn thing. It also hit me that Brenda was not there. It hit me that the last time I did a triathlon cheery and always happy Brenda was there with me :o( Thanks to my iPhone I was able to watch this video before I turned my phone over to Olivia.

Back to the transition area we went to get ready. YIKES 45 minutes til we start!

I sunscreend, body glided and suited up in my wetsuits, grabbed my goggles and swim caps and then Amy and I headed out of transition. We got our last good luck hugs and pictures and we made our way to the beach.

After the wave before us took off we were able to jump in the water…COLD…and get a little acclimated to it. I dunked under to get water in my wetsuit and I doggie paddled around for a bit.


Then it was time to get out, get lined up, the announcer had us do a couple of GO TEAMS!!! I gave Amy a good luck hug and then 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and we are off!!!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I have butterflies again just remembering it!