Lilypie First Birthday tickers

March 02, 2009

More Yummy Food

I've been trying to stick to my idea of cooking something new at least once a week and I was able to do it twice last week.

Last week was Mardi Gras so in honor of Fat Tuesday we made some beignets.


A beignet (pronounced [bε.ɲε], which is the French word for doughnut), in American English, refers to a pastry made from deep-fried dough and sprinkled with confectioner's sugar, is a kind of French doughnut. Savory versions of beignets are also popular as an appetizer, with fillings such as crawfish and shrimp.

Rocky had picked up some mix when he was in New Orleans last year so we finally decided to make it. Add Image

Actually I should say that other than frying them, Rocky did all the work :o) and yes we do own a deep fryer, a mini size one.

The turned out super yummy but even though he only made half the batch it was still too many for us and they don't taste good the next day. So next time we'll have to make them when we have guests over.

On Friday I decided to try Ree's Pan Fried Rib-Eye Steak, delicious!!!


I followed the directions but added a little something extra. I added sauted onions and mushrooms to it and boy was it good. I paired the steaks up with some mashed potatoes. It was a very easy meal to make.

I still have to download the pictures of the final product, I'll post them tomorrow.

Last night I did not cook but we had Rocky's parents over for dinner and had some very yummy fresh crab.


The weekend was both hectic, emotionally stressful and then mellow.

Saturday Rocky and I headed out to Marin to support the cycle team on their 80 mile bike ride. It turned out to be a nice day with no rain although it was crazy windy out there and that is never fun on a bike ride. The first part of the morning was going well and then we had an accident. One our riders locked up her breaks and went flying over handlebars :o( it required a trip an an ambulance and some ER care (I went with her while Rocky continued on with the team) but she is doing fine and just pretty banged up but no broken bones. That was quite scary. When they finally discharged her Rocky picked us up, we went back to the parking lot and got her car and we took her home. The rest of the evening we spent relaxing. It was a long day for us.

Sunday Rocky had Kali so I headed out in the icky pouring rain to run errands. I had to go to the grocery store, made a stop at the farmers market and the headed back home. We cleaned up our house, vegged out a little and then had dinner with my in-laws follwed by a movie. It was a nice Sunday afternoon.

I was thinking of trying Ree's French Onion Soup tonight but it might take too long so I may need to wait til the weekend, we'll see how late I get home tonight.

No comments: