Lilypie First Birthday tickers

June 24, 2009

False Alarm!!

Yesterday was a very intersting afternoon and not one I want to have again whether it's real or false.

I got a call at 4:45pm on my cell phone from ADT, our alarm company, that we had alarms going off in the garage. I asked the lady on the phone to please have the police dispatched right away and that I would head home and have my hubby head home also. Rocky is about 10 minutes from the house but I am 45 minutes :O( Anyway, we both rushed home.

On my way home I called Rocky and he said that he had gotten a call from his friend John, him and his wife live across the street, and that his wife called him to say that there were fire trucks were outside of our home.

At this point I was in tears and thinking the worst.

I called ADT back to find out if the police had arrived and she said she wasn't sure but that they had been dispatched and that now we not only had alarms going off in the garage but the whole house and that the fire department had been dispatched.

UGGGGGGHHH. I kept thinking our house was burnt to the ground the doggies were probably not alive.

In the meantime my hubby is trying to get home and you can read his part of the story on his blog here.

The fire department finally called me also to tell me that they had gone out to the house but they saw nothing...PHEW!!! The house was not on fire and the doggies were in the house barking up a storm. She said that they kept getting called though so they wanted to make sure that Rocky and I were okay and that we weren't stuck in the house needing medical help.

Nope, we are okay we aren't even home yet. I told her that the police were on their way to make sure NO ONE else was inside. We thought if the call was coming from inside the house maybe someone had gotten in like a burglar and something went wrong inside.

Anyway, hubby got home, the cops came, I finally made it home and NOTHING was wrong. Something very strange had gone wrong with our alarm system.

Rocky spent a quite a bit of time on the phone with ADT and we decided it was a good idea to have someone come out and check the system.

Mr. ADT arrived this morning and I had to explain to him all over again what had happened. When Rocky was on the phone with ADT last night they read to him all of the activity that had happened between 4:45pm and 5pm.

The front door opened, it closed, opened again, closed. The code was punched into the key pad, the fire department was called anyway, the list goes on. The guy told me that it sounded like it what happens when someone from ADT is testing a new system.

Anyway, very long story short. This was all an administrative error on ADT's part. Someone got a new ADT system and when serial numbers were punched into the system they were punched under our home and account number. So when that person's system was being tested yesterday it made it seem like our house was sending all the signals. Are you freaking kidding me? That is a very big mistake and good thing that the other customer was just getting new service and didn't really need help from the police or fire department.

I am very thankful that it was nothing serious but also pretty upset that we had to go through this. The only good thing that came out of this is that hey at least we know the alarm system in place and procedures work. They called us right away, they dispatched all necessary people right away and OPD and OFD showed up right away. You never know if they take the alarm systems seriously since there are so many false alarms. I am very thankful to both departments for taking this serious and showing up so quickly and also for the follow up phone calls to make sure we were okay.

No comments: