Lilypie First Birthday tickers

April 21, 2006

Shadow Cliff Swim

16 days til race day

Lael and I headed out to Shadow Cliffs last night after I got off work. Something we can now do since it's light out late. We decided that we would do 8 laps out there which is about 1120 yards (we now think it was more like 1280). It was pretty cold so once again it took me forever to feel comfortable. I started my laps and was able to make the 160 yards to the other side without half way but I had to take a short rest before coming back down the lane. This is where I need to just RELAX and take it easy and not freak out about what's in the lake :o( I think about it too much and panic. Anyway, our plan was to do 8 laps in 30 mins. It took me about 25min and 5 laps to finally get a good rhythm going and feel relaxed and okay. Laps 6, 7 and 8 felt pretty good and I have to say that I was happy last night with how I did. I hope that I can do that good this weekend at the practice triathlon and of course on event day. I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN :o) I did 8 laps in a little over 33 minutes. Lael has figured out that it will probably take me about 45 minutes to finish my swim if I do as good as I did in the last 3 laps last night, that sounds good too me. I was thinking over an hour so that's good news.

If you are bored you can read Roberta Gonzalez's swim at Shadow Cliffs...it creeped me out even more :o( http://cbs5.com/roberta/local_blogentry_145135937.html

Tomrrow....practice Triathlon at Shadow Cliffs :o) It is going to be set up as if it were race day. We'll have race numbers, a transition area, water stop and SAG support and people cheering us on. It should be a fun day, we are doing the NO RAIN dance though because of course it's scheduled to rain tomorrow :o(

Thank you DEBBIE and KAREN for coming out to support and cheer us on.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Don't fear the fish! When you are out there - you are one of them!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I was thinkig about going swimming at Shadow Cliff this week as the rattle snake I saw in Sunol last weekend had put me off solo hiking. But now I'm going to be afraid of catfish attacks.

Anyway is it warm enough to swim at Shadow Cliff without a wetsuit? I drive along Stanley just about every day and it may be about time to take the plunge. Is there a area where you can do laps or whatever without getting into really deep water?

Jules

Anonymous said...

well now that the weather is warming up it should be better out there without a wetsuit. I trained out there a couple of years ago for the Tri 4 Fun and didn't have a wetsuit and it was fine. There is a designated area out there (roped off) so you can do laps without having the kids and other people be in your way.