Lilypie First Birthday tickers

April 25, 2006

The motiviation I needed

I am 12 days from race day and although after the Practice Triathlon I do feel much better about finishing Wildflower I still need all the motivation I can get. Last night we went to the Kabuki Theatre in SF Japantown to watch Runner's High and support Coach Al. Runners High is a powerful documentary following the Students Run Oakland (SRO) organization as they try to succeed in training at-risk East Oakland youth for the Los Angeles marathon http://www.runnershighfilm.com/

I am glad that we went and watched it and it was just what I needed to remind me about challenges in life and accomplishing goals. I committed to this triathlon and I WILL finish it :o)

"It's 26.2 miles from East Oakland to anywhere they wanna go"

Story: When teenagers from one of the nations toughest neighborhoods in Oakland, California sign up to train for a marathon, they begin the journey of a lifetime. Runners High is an intimate, character driven documentary of struggle, courage, and hope. During a season filled with conflict and possibility, four of these teens bare their dreams, joys, tears and fears. As several stumble under pressure in emotionally charged moments, others realize the journey begins with the power and commitment to accept responsibility for their own futures. Runners High shows that no matter what happens next, one season of training to run 26.2 miles can change your life forever.


Coach Alphozo Jackson

Coach Alphonzo is SRO's chief motivator. With a hug for everyone and an inspirational saying at every turn, he prepares the teenagers for this physically grueling endeavor. A nationally ranked runner and a legend in the Bay Area running scene, he loves the city of Oakland and is doing whatever he can to reverse its bad rap. Some of his favorite sayings are: "It's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter" and "Don't wimp out on yourself." If you happen to say to him, "It's a beautiful day," you'll often hear back, "Everyday you can get out and run is a beautiful day." He is the ultimate coach
.


He really is the ultimate coach and I am so thankful that him and Mama Lisa are in my life. They will be with me in spirit on race day as they can't attend. They will both be in Humboldt for the Avenue of the Giants Half Marathon. When the going gets though I will hear their voices in my head telling me to keep on going and that there are NO WIMPS. I will think of all the encouraging words and advice that they have given me throughout the years.

3 comments:

Phil said...

Truly the best coaches in the world! With them being there in spirit, you are no doubt gonna finish the "damn thing!"

Claudia said...

that's what I'm hoping for :o)

Natalie said...

I would love to train with them one day....by the way that photo scroller is too cool - I think I have to copy that idea :)