Lilypie First Birthday tickers

November 08, 2006

NOTHING....

....that's what I've been doing...haa, haa. I said I was going to take a break from running and that's exactly what I am doing. My little feet have not seen my running shoes since Nike which will be 3 weeks this weekend. My plan is to probably take off all of November and December and then come back fresh in January. It's not good for me to not do anything at all so I think I may take some yoga classes at a place right around the corner from our house. I've been there before and I liked it. I had really wanted to take the boot camp class held at Heather Farms but its kind of expensive and I'd have to take the 5:30am classs....uuhhh...I can barely get up at 6:30 to go to work. I'll keep ya posted though on that one. I just feel like I need to do something other than sit on my butt and knit and watch tv all night. Although I did find a picture of a yoga knitter today :o) maybe I can find one of those classes somewhere.




While I've been doing nothing Dean Karnazes finished his 50 marathons in 50 days. He finished in an amazing 3:00:30 at the New York City Marathon on Sunday. That was his 50th marathon. I can't believe it. I would have came in in like 20 hours after running 49 marathons the previous 49 days. Then on Monday he decided that he couldn't just stop there so he went on a 28 mile run. What is he doing today you ask on day 53? Here is what he wrote today:

DAY 53
Miles: To be determined

Weather: 56 degrees, rain

Today is the most liberating, terrifying, exciting, and confusing day of my life. I am walking out of a hotel room in New York City, and running west. Why west? Because that is the direction of my house in San Francisco. Yes, I am running home from the New York City Marathon, the final marathon of the Endurance 50, across the country back to my house.

What is my plan? I really don’t have one. There is no script here. It will be kind of like reality TV, only this is not TV. I’m not sure of the route I’ll follow, I’m not sure where I’ll stay, I’m not sure how long it will take. All I know is that my heart is telling me this is the right thing to do.
My family is behind me, which is the most important thing. I talked with them at length to get their feelings about this next leg of the journey, and they were 100% supportive and encouraging. “It will be fun, dad,” my daughter, Alexandria, said, “We’ll come find you every weekend and run together.”

The Endurance 50 was more of a spiritual journey than a running event. None of us had ever anticipated this would be the case. People from around the globe united and came together in ways that were astonishing to us all. We saw the very best in human nature, we saw the human spirit come through in remarkable and touching ways. In a world that can be so divided, running showed us that it has the power to unify people.

So let us run.
Heading west,

Dean


Check out his blog, he's got some video footage on there and you can keep track of his journey home.


So see, there is no way that I can just sit around and not do anything. So I will find something to keep me going til I start running again in January.

No comments: