Lilypie First Birthday tickers

September 20, 2006

Disneyland Half Marathon - COMPLETE :o)

Saturday

We met at our house at 5am to start our drive to Anaheim, we managed to pull onto Disney Drive around noon. We grabbed some lunch and then headed over to the Expo to pick up our race packets. The expo wasn't too big so we didn't spent much time there. We checked into our hotel around 3 and took a little refresher nap and then headed out for dinner around 6. We had some yummy pasta at Mimi's Cafe. We wanted to eat dinner around 5 but the restaurant was packed the best we could do was 6 and even then we waited for a really long time. Because we had to be up at 3am we literally ate and rolled into bed. I think we were all in bed and asleep by 8:30. We were all exhausted from getting up early and the long drive so it wasn't too hard to fall asleep even though it was early but little did we know we'd be woken up at 9:30 by a loud noise that sounded like we were in a war. We weren't but that's what it sounded like. For about 30-45 minutes we got to hear the VERY LOUD fireworks coming from Disneyland. It was the last day of the 50th Anniversary Fireworks so they went on forever and were super duper loud. We all had a hard time falling asleep after that and then it was the 3:00am alarm doing off :o(

Sunday - Race Day

We got up and got ready, had our morning breakfast and headed out at about 3:45 to catch the 4am shuttle. There was a shuttle stop right in front of our hotel so that is where we waited. We got the race in about 10 minutes which meant a lot of standing around but we were told to be there by 4:30 so we were. We hung out in the area which would later be the finish line area. Around 5am they had us walk over to the corrals and sit there until the race started. I wasn't really cold but cold enough to not be happy about standing around so long. At 6am sharp the race started. I started out running with Phil and Olivia. We all run at the same pace so there was a good chance that we would start and finish this race together. My training hasn't been great and of course my eating and sleeping for the last few weeks has been horrible so I figured I would finish in about 2:40. I felt really great during the first 6.5 miles. I had even broken away from Phil and Olivia for a bit and was running at a little faster pace without filling too tired. It was awesome running through Disneyland and the California Adventure Park. Sure looks different when there aren't a bazillion people running around. The employees were out there cheering us on and that was cool especially since it was so early. Around mile 7 or so I heard Olivia call my name, her and Phil had caught back up to me and we started running together again. When we got to mile 9 or so I really had to go to the bathroom so they went ahead and I stopped. There was only one person in front of me so I wasn't there too long. At this point Rocky was flying by and was well on his way to finishing in about 2:15. I guess him and Lindsay had gotten separated at some point because he was running alone. By this time we were about to enter the Anaheim Stadium. It had definitely warmed up a bit and I was feeling it. By the time we got out of the stadium we were at mile 10 and there was a water stop at about mile 10.25, that's when I felt I really needed a break. My fingers looked like sausages and I was tired. I walked from mile 10.25 to mile 11. It was a much needed break but since I only had 2.1 miles left I needed to get running and just finish the darn thing. I started a very slow run and not long before we hit 12 miles Lindsay was calling my name. She had slowed down quite a bit and was running alone but managed to catch up to me. She was also having a hard time. We ran the last bit of the race together and pushed each other through. We crossed the finish line holding hands :o) I finished in 2:41:21. Not too bad, I figured 2:40 so I was only off by a minute. I did not have a great race but it wasn't horrible. I did get dehydrated though and this is the second race, Napa Marathon was the first, that I have some major issues with my electrolytes. I have noticed that even though I do not take my gels and gatorade together that after a while of it all being in my belly I start feeling sick so I stop taking the gels and drinking the gatorade which is not not good especially on a hot day. I end up feeling horrible during the end of the race which is why I slow down so much. I also end up feeling very sick afterwards and takes me a while to recover from having a very sick nauseaus feeling and a horrible headache. I am going to start trying endurolyte pills and hopefully those will help me and I can stop taking the gels and gatorade all togther. I have a few weeks to play with that before my next race.

I have to say that it was a great race. The water stops were very well stocked and had bottled water water not that icky hose water like we've had in other races. The finish line was a bit chaotic but they had lots of yummy food, water and Powerade for us. The medal is awesome and we got dri fit shirts in our goodie bags. The only thing I can think of they need to improve on is the timing of the shuttles and that we really don't need to be there at 4:30am. I would definitely do this race again.

After the race we headed back to the hotel. We picked up some beers and ordered a pizza which was delivered to the pool. We did our ice bath in the pool and had pizza and beer. Hee, hee...what better way to have a post race meal :o) We got cleaned up, took a nap and then headed out to California Adventure. It was a nice park but not worth the money. There wasn't much to do there. We had dinner at a very yummy Mexican restaurant Downtown Disney and then headed back for some much needed sleep.

Monday

We had breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen and had a blast with Goofy, Pluto and few other characters. We then spent the next 8 hours at Disneyland. We drove home on Tuesday.

Today my legs feel like they are going to fall off but I think it's mostly from the two days of walking at the two parks. It was a great fun filled weekend though and I'll definitely do it again next year.

CONGRATULTIONS.....Rocky, Olivia, Lindsay, Phil & Karen. I had a great time on our road trip, the race and hanging out at Disney :o)


and also, CONGRATULATIONS to all our other friends that ran the race. It was fun seeing you all down there and I hope you had a great time.

and YES, you did read correctly I have another race coming up. Last Thursday we wer given an opportunity to sign up for the sold out Nike Marathon. I signed up race day is in about 4 weeks.



3 comments:

Carol said...

Congrats on completing Disney! And thanks for sharing the wonderful photos!

Natalie said...

Congratulations! Looks like you had lots of fun. Although, I think just doing Disneyland is an endurance event in itself!

Anonymous said...

Great job!

Can I add it my website http://www.DisneyRunning.com ?

Thanks,

Robert
Goofy in 06 & Goofier in 07
info@DisneyRunning.com