Lilypie First Birthday tickers

May 24, 2007

Maui - Monday

Snorkeling with the Pacific Whale Foundation

Destinations: Molokini Crater and Lanai

Monday was an all day snorkeling trip. Olivia and her parents had done a sunset cruise with the Pacific Whale Foundation back in December and they really liked it so she suggested them for our snorkeling trip. I'm glad we picked them. The crew was a lot of fun and the food was yummy. We also met some other passengers and shared traveling stories. We met a couple from Alabama who'd never been to Hawaii. They were staying for like 2 weeks I think and were doing some island hopping. I think they literally planned a different event every day. They said Maui was the best though.

The first stop was Molokini Crater and it was really nice. The water was super clear and before we even jumped in the water the fishies were already surrounding our boat. My biggest goal during the snorkeling trip was to see a sea turtle. Didn't happen here though :o( but we did see some very pretty fish. I normally freak out for a bit when I'm in the water but this time I didn't. I was very relaxed and was able to enjoy it. I think it helped that Rocky didn't leave my side. The water was a bit cold but we had some long sleeve rash guards that the boat provided and that helped keep us a little warm. I am bad and have not developed the underwater pictures but I'll get that done soon and share the fishy pictures with you.



A little about Molokini Crater



Located 2 ½ miles off Maui's south coast, Molokini is an extinct volcano that is now designated as a State Marine Life and Bird Conservation District. Its crescent shape acts as a fortress that provides protection from waves and powerful currents making this area one of the top ten dive sites in the world.

Molokini's back wall sharply drops off to depths of 300 feet. In the center is a lush reef area with excellent viewing up to 150 feet. The pristine waters are home to about 250 species of fish - some of which are found nowhere else on earth.


The second stop was Lanai. We didn't like it as much. The water wasn't as clear, there weren't as many fishies and the water was super choppy which made lots of people on the boat sick. No fun. BUT the highlight of the trip to Lanai was a SEA TURTLE :o) yipee! I got to see and I was able to get some pictures. I just hope they turn out.

A little about Lanai

Lanai is the smallest of Hawaii’s inhabited islands, covering 140 square miles. Once the home of a thriving pineapple plantation, Lanai has reinvented itself as an alluring resort destination offering world-class golf courses and award-winning accommodations.

The area we snorkeled in is called Manele Bay. Which is below in the picture.


The trip back was the longest. It was super windy and super choppy. This is also when they decided to serve lunch. Uhhh, not a good combination. Rocky felt horrible on the other hand I felt fine and stuffed myself with a yummy Chicken Sandwich and a Pina Colada :o) Rocky wanted to do nothing with food or really with the boat any more. He just wanted to be back on land. Lots of people weren't feeling good on the way back. I think most of the boat fell asleep just so they could feel a little better. After my yummy lunch I also fell asleep and then all of a sudden when came to a stop. I thought we had arrived but when I opened my eyes we were still in the middle of the ocean. Hmmm, what's going on? One of the crew members had spotted a dolphin so the captain stopped the boat to wait. It took a while but then 2 dolphins appeared right next to our boat and once we got going again they stayed with the boat for a while. It was very neat to see them.

The trip was fun besides the icky feeling Rocky had on the way back. We got back and did some shopping at the Pacific Whale Foundation shop and then headed back to the condo. We didn't feel like doing dinner out since were were pooped and by the time we got back Rocky was starving so we stopped at Aloha Mixed Plate again and took it to go. YUMMY Kalbi Ribs!


This was the sunset from our balcony on this evening.


Next week I'll try to finish up with our trip to Maui. It'll include the luau, surfing and a 4 mile walk on the beach.

Things are going well and Rocky and I are settling into married life. We don't have much planned this weekend which is nice. We'll be spending Saturday with his family and I think the rest of the weekend we'll just veg out. We need it.

Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe long weekend!

'myspace

No comments: